23 July 2010

Product Review - Black Mission Fig Goat's Milk Ice Cream


So, as someone who should not eat normal ice cream - at least the kind that involves large quantities of whole eggs - I'm always on the look out for new kinds of ice cream. This is especially true when I'm wandering the aisles of my local Whole Foods wondering what three items I can buy for under fifty dollars. When peering through the foggy glass doors of the ice cream aisle, I spied, on the very top shelf,  in a corner, LaLoo's Black Mission Fig Goat's Milk Ice Cream. The ingredients list egg yolks, not whole eggs, so it's good for me. Even better, there are only a total of seven ingredients, as it should be.  Before even going to the website I decided to do my own tasting and really try and focus on the flavors I was getting from it.
First bite, definitely fig newtons. Even the taste of the soft butter flavored cookie outside was coming through from the butter-rich creaminess of the goat's milk. As I continued, I was reminded of eating a good quality coffee ice cream, slightly bitter in a good way. Then peanut butter came to mind with its creamy earthiness. As I kept tasting, I found the the floral aroma of the goat's milk coming through - that combined with the deep burnt sugar taste from the mission figs reminded me almost of Cajeta - without being sickeningly sweet. It is,  without question, the most delicious ice cream I have EVER tasted. I have tasted some ice cream people. I know my ice cream. I will warn you, if you don't like figs or fig newtons, do NOT try this ice cream. The fig flavor is so pure and prominent that it would be wasted on you rather than savored by me. It even has the occasional grit of a seed that is always involved when enjoying a fig newton.
Summary: A fantastic evolution of a childhood snack into an adulthood luxury. I disagree with the website in only one regard; In my opinion the only thing it should be paired with is a spoon.

Whole Foods - $6.99 for a pint
A+++++

No comments:

Post a Comment