12 July 2010

Et tu motivation?

Motive[moh-tiv]  according to dictionary.com
-noun
1.something that causes a person to act in a certain way, do a certain thing, etc.; incentive.
2.the goal or object of a person's actions: Her motive was revenge.
3.(in art, literature, and music) a motif.
 –adjective
4.causing, or tending to cause, motion.
5.pertaining to motion.
6.prompting to action.
7.constituting a motive or motives.
 –verb (used with object)
8.to motivate.
 
What makes us go? What makes us do? Besides food, warmth, and water - why do most people do what they do every day? Most of the things we do daily or are supposed to do, for some reason, aren't only for food, warmth and water. Why then? 
I'm asking this question because my daughter is starting ask this question. 
Why can't she touch everything?
Why can't she go up to strangers that she greets as, "Hi friends?"
Why can't she have a freezer pop for breakfast?
Why does she have to go to bed?
Why can't she have a hang-glider for her birthday?

Sure I can give reasons for why or why not that are rational and sensible explanations but I honestly have no idea why she can't do any of those things. Just like I have no idea why I have to do any of the things I have to do. So, what's my motive? What is making me do the things I do or not do the things I don't do? What's your motive? Maybe that's the difference between happy people and unhappy people. Happy people have a motive. A reason for doing the things they do, other than because that's what's expected. Ruby doesn't do anything she doesn't want to do. Three-year-olds can't be expected to do anything. They won't do it if they don't want to or don't understand why they shouldn't - even then it better be a really good reason like it's scary or a potential owie. You might get them to do it with some incentive but don't ever count on it. I'm starting to think that three-year-olds seem as bad as they do because three is the year that we as parents begin to expect things from them that they aren't capable of doing. We get frustrated and wonder why they aren't conforming to our world, or listening to what we say, or acting the way we want them to be. When I read that sentence it seems like a viscous cycle to me. Aren't we like that even as adults? Sixty-year-olds look at thirty-year-olds with the same contempt. Thirty-year-olds look at teenagers with the same eye-roll and head shake that I give my child daily. No one will ever be the person WE want them to be. No one will ever be the person I want them to be. All Ruby will ever be is the person she wants to be. I'm just the salesperson giving her the costumes to try on before she decides. 

So Mr. DeMille, before my close up, What's my motivation? Who am I in this scene?

No comments:

Post a Comment